Web Deploy (msdeploy) simplifies deployment of Web applications and Web sites to IIS servers. Administrators can use Web Deploy to synchronize IIS servers or to migrate to newer versions of IIS. Web Deploy Tool also enables administrators and delegated users to use IIS Manager to deploy ASP.NET and PHP applications to an IIS server.
- Seamless integration with IIS Manager (IIS7 and above), Visual Studio (2010 and above)for creating packages and deploying them onto a machine, both locally and remotely.
- Integration with WebMatrix for deploying and downloading web applications.
- Seamless integration with the Web Platform Installer to install community web applications simply and easily.
- Web application packaging, such as ability to package a Web application or an entire site, including the associated databases.
- Ability to package ACLs, COM, GAC and registry settings.
- Supports both live servers and zipped packages as a source or destination.
- Web application deployment with administrative privileges are not required in order to deploy Web applications.
- Ability to add powerful parameters to change text in files when they are deployed (such as prompting to replace a connection string when deploying from QA to staging environments).
- Integration with the IIS Web Management Service (WMSVC) for remote deployment by non-administrators.
- Server administrators have granular control over the operations that can be performed and can delegate tasks to non-administrators.
- Web server migration and synchronization, such as ability to synchronize or migrate the entire Web server, a Web site or application.
- Synchronizes only the data that has changed.
- Ability to detect missing dependencies during synchronization.
- Automatically gathers content, IIS configuration, SSL certificates and ASP.NET configuration when you sync a Web site.
- Automatic backup of Web Sites before making any changes.
- Administrator can configure Web Deploy such that it creates and store backup of websites on the server.
- End users can directly restore their websites without admins involvement.
- In addition to the IIS Manager, Visual Studio 10, Web Matrix tasks can be performed using the command-line, PowerShell Cmdlets or public APIs.
Download and install Web Deploy 3.5. Please note that the default installation location will be on
C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy V3
Start msdeploy service:
net start msdepsvc
View your site dependencies:
msdeploy -verb:getDependencies -source:apphostconfig="website"
Backup the existing website configuration:
%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd add backup “PreWebDeploy”
Create a package from source server:
msdeploy -verb:sync -source:apphostconfig="website" -dest:package=c:\Site1.zip > WebDeployPackage.log
Validate a package on destination server:
msdeploy -verb:sync -source:package=c:\Site1.zip -dest:source:apphostconfig="website" -whatif > WebDeploySync.log
Deploy a package on destination server:
msdeploy -verb:sync -source:package=c:\Site1.zip -dest:source:apphostconfig="website" > WebDeploySync.log
Validate direct deploy on destination server (Sync – Pull):
msdeploy -verb:sync -source:apphostconfig="website",computername=servername -dest:apphostconfig="website" -whatif > WebDeploySync.log
Direct deploy on destination server(Sync – Pull)
msdeploy -verb:sync -source:apphostconfig="website",computername=servername -dest:apphostconfig="website"